One Can Dream

Return to the Secretary's Chronicle

So after the council meeting when I got elected Secretary by Unanimous vote. I came home and read what the bylaws required of me. One of my many responsibilities in addition to keeping accurate unbiased mins, making sure all council members are informed, and making sure meetings are compliant with all laws is a membership ledger.

The bylaws state the Secretary is supposed to:
Ensure that a membership ledger showing the names, addresses and voting status of all current members of the SILC, as well as the dates on which their current terms expire, is securely maintained, together with a record of membership composition compliance in accordance with 34 CFR, Ch. III, Subpart C, Subsection 364.21.

So I sent out the following Request:

Jodi and fellow council members,

In accordance with the bylaws placed in effect by the council on June, 14 2006, I as duely appointed Secretary am responsible for making sure that there is a membership ledger. I am officially requesting that not only does Jodi as chair provide me with any information she may have that I need to complete this task, but that each individual council member provide me with their individual information. I also request that Jodi as Chair contact any council members that do not have e-mail and help me get the information from them that I need.

For those of you who may not be familiar what our bylaws require with regards to the membership ledger, I am requesting the following information:

1) Your Name
2) Your Addresses
4) The voting status of all current members of the council. (Ex Officio or not)
5) When you became a member and when your current term expires
6) Whether or not you are a member of the council by virtue of being a center director
7) If you are a person with a disability or not
8) and if you are a person with a disability, what is your disability

In addition, I am officially requesting that all council members who have served in the past provide me with information as to when they served on the council in the past and in what capacity they provided service. IE - where you a voting member, did you hold an office, if you held an/any office/s when were you appointed to those offices and for how long did you serve.

Please send this information to me with the subject title of ICOIL: Membership Ledger. Please as responsible council members with a desire to move forward get this information to me as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Ramona M. Harvey ICOIL Secretary


E-mails Sparked by request for information for the membership ledger as per the bylaws.

Thu, 15 Jun 2006 08:32:57 -0400 From: Melissa Madill To: "ramona harvey" Subject: Re: ICOIL: Membership Ledger

Ramona, why is it necessary to have past info on members? I understand the need for the ledger, but don't understand the need for that. I feel as if these questions are coming from someone else, not you.

I hope that if you have any concerns you will address them with me. I understand I accidently e mailed you what I inteded to send to Pat Stewart and Teresa Mager, but I'm one who says what I say, I say for the record - so that fact you got it doesn't concern me. However, some of your comments do. I would welcome the opportunity to sit down with you and have you directly ask me anything that is of concern to you about my membership on the Council, as many statements have been made that infer you have information about members that has not been given to you by them. Here-say is a dangerous thing to base your decisions on. I truly want to work with you and see positive results from this Council. But I'm unsure of your willingness to listen and work with some of the members on the Council.
Melissa


To which I which I sent the following reply having not yet read the e-mail referenced.

Melissa,

Not sure what you are talking about. I am currently the secretary and I requested information. The ledger information is strictly from the bylaws, the past information I feel it is important to know as secretary and a member of the council.

I really don't understand what the big deal is about asking that question. It should all be a matter of public record I suppose and I could ask for those records and go about it the hard way, but I don't want to. Believe me if I possed the question it is because I think it is something I need to know.

I am unfamiliar with any e-mail that you accidentally sent to me. But I do not have a problem with you and I would welcome your sharing information with me. I only ask specific questions because I want specific answers. Once I have the answers, I have the answers and thats it.


Then I sent the following e-mail out to the council:

Fellow Council Members,

This is partially a follow up to my request for membership information. Concern has been expressed to me as to why I would request the information I requested, and I just wanted to be clear that the reason I requested this information was because I was elected secretary and the bylaws that we passed indicates that I needed to have this information. The information for the ledger is mandatory.

The information I requested for the ledger comes from section 9 subpart 3 of the bylaws adopted on June 14, 2006.

My second formal request for voluntary disclosure of past involvement in the council is also valid and stims from my belief that I as a council member, and specifically as a secretary need to know these things...because the bylaws. My intention was not however to include this information in the ledger, but simply to establish a record (since there seems to be a lot of confusion), because I am the secretary and if a question such as who has served on the council before comes up....then I need to be able to answer those questions. All I am trying to do is follow the bylaws we adopted and do the job I agreed to do.

But the fact is if we really are going to do this right we have to have this information. Because otherwise how do we know who even qualifies for a second term on the council....and how do we know who has experience in a particular area.

These questions are my own and they are not unreasonable....I do not ask these questions behind closed doors or because anyone else may also have these questions. I ask these questions only and simply because I have a responsibility to ask. Because you voted that I had the responsibility to ask. My questions are very specific, but I am not trying to determine who did what to whom or anything of that nature. Just when people served before and in what capacity....I am sure there are records that would indicate this information as well as a whole lot of other stuff that I have not requested, that I do not see the need to request as we are trying to build a foundation and move forward.

Instead of going to those records, I thought I would get this basic resume information directly from the people who were involved. My intention was not to upset anyone nor call anyone out. Just get basic information directly from the people involved and not engage in this he said she said thing. We are all tired of that and it is old. It is time we move on with as much accurate information as we can have with regards to who may qualify for re-nomination of the council etc.

Right now I am the secretary for a SILC that is at risk. We are all members of a council at risk. I have committed to doing that job and helping the council to do our job. So that maybe we can turn our reputation around...and everyone, current and potential CIL Directors, and residence of IN with disabilities can reap the benifits.

That is all I want to do and I don't care who knows it, so I appreciate your helping me to do my job as outlined by the bylaws we passed June 14, 2006. Because we really do have to move forward.

Ramona M. Harvey
ICOIL Secretary


Then I read the e-mail referenced by Melissa Madill (IRCIL CIL DIR - indy)accidentally sent to me, but intended to send behind my back. To Teresa Mager (WIL CENTER DIR - terra haute) and Pat Stewart (DIR of ATTIC - vincennes)

Okay - I can see why she wants info for the "membership ledgeer" (even though we all know who's giving her orders and that she didn't come up with these requests on her own), but why does an "temporary interim secretary" need to have the info on how long members have served and in what capacity?

By-the-way, I had to reply to her e mail about the audio loop. Her comment: "The council knows this and if a council made up primarily of center directors is not aware of what an audioloop is and how it is a reasonable accommodation then I am more then deeply concerned." pissed me off too much to let slide. MM

Quoting ramona harvey :

> Jodi and fellow council members,

> > In accordance with the bylaws placed in effect by the council on > June, 14 2006, I as duely appointed Secretary am responsible for > making sure that there is a membership ledger. I am officially > requesting that not only does Jodi as chair provide me with any > information she may have that I need to complete this task, but that > each individual council member provide me with their individual > information. I also request that Jodi as Chair contact any council > members that do not have e-mail and help me get the information from > them that I need.

> > For those of you who may not be familiar what our bylaws require > with regards to the membership ledger, I am requesting the following > information:

> > 1) Your Name > 2) Your Addresses > 3) Your E-mail > 4) The voting status of all current members of the council. (Ex > Officio or not) > 5) When you became a member and when your current term expires > 6) Whether or not you are a member of the council by virtue of > being a center director > 7) If you are a person with a disability or not > 8) and if you are a person with a disability, what is your disability >

> In addition, I am officially requesting that all council members > who have served in the past provide me with information as to when > they served on the council in the past and in what capacity they > provided service. IE - where you a voting member, did you hold an > office, if you held an/any office/s when were you appointed to those > offices and for how long did you serve. >

> Please send this information to me with the subject title of > ICOIL: Membership Ledger. Please as responsible council members > with a desire to move forward get this information to me as soon as > possible. >

> Thank you, > > Ramona M. Harvey > ICOIL Secretary >

Note the reference to the audio-loop. By this time council members were well aware that a fellow council member had requested this reasonable accomodation and that an audioloop would need to be purchased.


I sent the following reply to Melissa and cced Pat Stewart and Teresa Mager

Start of Email:
umm ok sorry bout that melissa I did not actually look at this e-mail before I replied to you saying...don't know what your talking about about having accidently sent a letter to me.

For the record nobody is ordering me to do anything. And this crap has got to stop. I won't play. I am not going to hold this e-mail against you. I am going to keep it.

However, we are trying to start new so I'm gonna let you.

It is time you stopped playing these games because it hasn't gotten you anywhere and it won't.

If you don't let go now, and just start doing what needs to be done you will be fighting for the duration and you will not have funds or protections for funds. Have you forgotten the reasons why you got in IL in the first place? Didn't you have someone you cared about that you wanted to see successful....didn't you have a dream and a cause? Didn't you start by advocating for something you believed in....before it was about the money?...before it got so out of hand that it became about the money...

And I'll go ahead and say it...as to what happened in the past....I don't know....lots are upset and confused, and maybe Teresa has a right to think what she thinks and advocates for, but that money is not there. I don't know if it ever was, and I doubt that it will be. Teresa will not have what she wants, because it is not there....or at least I have seen no evidence of it.

But my agenda is not Teresa's it has never been Teresa's. My agenda my goal is to help you all clean up this mess, and start smelling pretty again....or maybe for the first time. I know people across IN, my friends...and even myself...that just need this thing to work and to have garbage like this e-mail to stop.

I guess it is you choice, you can choose to do what you say you wish to do, or you can do the things you have done before....you can take this opportunity to do things right, or you can continue to play games. See how far it gets you....and live with conscience and the consequences.

It is your choice, but I am offering to help you all dig your way out, look good and then be able to say that you were involved in turning IN around. You want a strong council, you want to protect IL, protect your money, and you want to improve your reputation...that all can be done.

But I gotta tell ya, e-mails like this is not the way to do it. I had no problem with you Melissa, no reason to have a problem. Now I do have a reason, but you know what, I am going to let it slide...because there are more important things to be done. We cannot do that thing that you all have been doing any more....and believe me...you all have way more to loose by this stuff then I do. I don't want to see that happen because even though you have the capacity to make the decisions you make there are too many other people that are suffering because we as a council have not been doing our jobs for years.

Ramona Harvey


Return to the Secretary's Chronicle